Monday, December 14, 2009

Dear Lord Three Things I Pray

The musical, Godspell, made the following prayer famous.


O Dear Lord

Three things I pray.

To see thee more clearly.

Love thee more dearly.

Follow thee more nearly.

Day by Day.



Since this is a blogsite devoted to all things Jesuit (for evangelicals) you probably aren't going to be surprised at what I say this next.

This prayer has its origins in Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises. Here it is in Ignatius' words:

Ignatius2 104. Third Prelude. This is to ask for what I desire. Here it will be to ask for an intimate knowledge of our Lord, who has become man for me, that I may love Him more and follow Him more closely. (Ignatius)


The Godspell musical made it a "catchier" chorus/prayer, but nonetheless, its origin is Ignatius' instructions to retreatants on getting ready to contemplate the Incarnation.

And at this time of the year, as we celebrate the Word made flesh, God with us, Immanuel - may we all make this our prayer.

Dear Lord, three things I pray…

Brian K. Rice
Leadership ConneXtions International
www.lci.typepad.com

No comments:

Post a Comment