Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Daily Examen, Part Eight: A Few Practical Suggestions

In this final post on the Daily Examen series, I want to briefly answer some practical questions you may have. Before I answer those questions, here are two important thoughts about the Examen.

First - it is above all a Prayer Exercise and then it is an Awareness (or Examination) Exercise. Ignatius wants us to connect intimately with the God who loves us and who is with us. So, even as you are doing the work of examination and awareness, you should do it with the sense of prayerfulness.

Second - it is a pattern that is quite transformative as it is practiced in whole, but it is a fluid, flexible approach to Prayer and Awareness. In other words, you don't have to do every part of the Examen every time. And, you can vary the length of the parts you do as you feel the need. I do suggest that for those who are new to the Examen, that you begin by practicing it as Ignatius presented it. Do the entire Examen to become familiar and then comfortable with it. As time goes on, adapt it as you have the need and the leading of God.

Now, for a few practical matters.

(1) WHEN should I do the Examen?

Ignatius counseled us in this. Twice a day. Sometime about midday, looking back over the day so far. And then a second time in the evening, perhaps before going to sleep. I have two suggestions on this. The first is that you try using it in the evening, when you can to the retrospective look over your entire day. But not so late that you are sleepy. The second suggestion is that you find the time of day that works best for you. If you so desire, you can a morning Examen when you look back over the previous day.

(2) HOW OFTEN should I do the Examen?

The undeniable fact of life is that we are very busy and time is at a premium. And perhaps it is for that very reason that I encourage you to be a regular practitioner of the Examen. For most of us, four or five times a week, with a little discipline and planning on our part, is quite possible. As you do this consistently, you will build this discipline into your routines and it will become more habitual and a good part of your daily rhythm.

If you are in a time of stress, challenge, difficulty, crisis or a crossroads time of decision making, I encourage you to do the Daily Examen as often as you can. For, your heart and mind will be preoccupied with your needs and struggles already. So, why not use that time you are already thinking about those things and do so in the context of the Examen.

And, for those who are so busy that you can only do it two or three times a week, here is another suggestion. Do a Weekly Examen at the end of the week. I do a Weekly Examen most weeks, even if I am doing Daily Examens. This Weekly Examen gives me the chance to get a broader perspective of what God is doing in my life.

(3) HOW LONG does the Examen take?

Ignatius thought that a well disciplined Jesuit could do a very sufficient Examen in about fifteen minutes. The key there is "well disciplined." Ignatius was referring to the Jesuit who had achieved a good state of holiness and self-denial, maturing nicely in their Christian life.

If you are practicing a full Examen, thirty minutes is probably more reasonable to have a good experience of prayer and discernment. If you do parts of an Examen, it can be shorter.

My Examen's take a little longer because I JOURNAL as a tool of awareness. My journaling is itself a form of prayer. I sometimes write my prayers in my journal. At times I write and then pray and move in and out of these things without even knowing it. But with that said, thirty minutes should be a good amount of time if you are new to the Examen.

(4) WHERE can I do the Examen?

If at all possible, the place should be quiet and free from interruptions and distractions, especially for learning the Examen. Another feature of our world is that it is noisy and distracting. Therefore, we have difficulty with focus and attention. The Examen requires both of these. Christ is asking for your full and loving attention and you want to give it to Him.

I have a little "sacred space" that I use. It is my "prayer chair." I have good lighting and a side table. Early in the morning (for lector divina and other devotional practices) and late at night for the Examen, the rest of the room is dark and free from visual distractions as well.

I have also done this in my office, which feels quite different when I do it. I have done it in motel rooms, in conference halls, and a few times I have done it while running. But for me, the quiet sacred space is best for attending to God and His presence and work in my life.

HOWEVER, the Examen, as it is consistently practiced, will have the benefit of helping you learn to Practice the Presence of God in the moment. As Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection was able to do this while he washed dishes, we too can learn to attend to God at any place and any time.

******************

May the Daily Examen become a part of your Regula of the Spiritual Life and draw you close to the God who loves you.

Brian K. Rice
Leadership ConneXtions International
www.lci.typepad.com


No comments:

Post a Comment